Stakeholder Feedback Request - Mountain Training proposals
System Date: 15/4/2014
Discussions regarding Mountain Training structures on the island of Ireland have taken place over a number of years.
Mountaineering Ireland has outlined in its strategic development plan 2014 - 2017 an action to progress the establishment of an all island mountain training board.
In 2013, the Sport Northern Ireland Board agreed the following recommendations:
- The establishment of a new All-Ireland Board as a subcommittee of Mountaineering Ireland on condition that Sport NI is satisfied that the new arrangements for mountain training in Northern Ireland will be at least equivalent to those currently operating, maintain the full approval of MTUK and have the support of Mountaineering Ireland.
- Approve the commissioning of the secretary of MTUK to engage with related parties to propose:
- A new structure for the management of mountain training in Ireland both North and South under the leadership of MI
- A project plan that would lead to the integration of BOS and MTNI into a new mountain training board for the island of Ireland
- That officers will progress with a Section 75 consultation exercise in respect of this decision.
Following the above, Sport Northern Ireland appointed John Cousins, Chief Officer of Mountain Training UK, to co-ordinate a small working group to consider the options for an integrated Mountain Training structure for the island of Ireland under the leadership of Mountaineering Ireland.
The work carried out by this group has led to the attached discussion document. It is hoped that this paper and stakeholder feedback (associated questionnaire
and stakeholder meetings) will help fashion a final solution that maximises the effectiveness and efficiency of mountain training for all stakeholders on the island, allowing trainees, candidates and award holders the maximum flexibility in terms of their training, assessment and employment opportunities.
Two stakeholder meetings will be facilitated by John Cousins, MTUK:
Irish Sport HQ, Dublin - 20th May 2014 (7.00pm)
House of Sport, Belfast - 21st May 2014 (7.00pm)