Mountaineering Ireland Annual Review 2013
System Date: 14/02/2014
The 2013 Annual Review outlines the work of Mountaineering Ireland during the course of the year.
The contributions of many members made 2013 a memorable year for Mountaineering Ireland. The Annual Review 2013 can be downloaded below but some of the reported actions and activities include:
- Coillte remains in state ownership - Mountaineering Ireland and others changed Government policy;
- Development of a leaflet on access and liability for recreational users and landowners, published by Comhairle na Tuaithe;
- Mountaineering Ireland raised significant concerns about the future of Comhairle na Tuaithe and got the Minister responsible engaged;
- Helping the Hills study visit and seminar;
- Mountaineering Ireland led the Upland Working Group and its rural development plan proposals;
- Club Environmental Officers' Workshops;
- Mountaineering Ireland consulted with membership and made numerous submissions;
- Lowland Leader Award and Climbing Wall Award rolled out;
- Mountaineering Ireland hosted a Mountain training Conference, Club Training Officers Workshops, Scouting Ireland Leaders Moot, Skills workshops, etc;
- Spring and Autumn Gatherings, Winter, Fair Head and Summer Meets;
- New Talent Development Squad structure and Coach Development Workshops;
- Youth Climbing Series, IBL, Lead and Bouldering Championships;
- Success of young climbers, especially World No. 1 ranked Dominic Burns - the European Youth Cup champion in 2013;
- Roll out of the online membership management system and new website;
- The archiving of the Joss Lynam (1924-2011) collection and Lynam Lecture;
- 30% discount on insurance passed on to members;
- The development of Mountaineering Ireland's Strategic Development Plan 2014 – 2017;
- and lots more.
Mountaineering Ireland would like to thank all the many members who contributed throughout 2013 and look forward to your continued support during 2014.