Mountaineering Ireland exists to represent and support the walkers and climbers of Ireland and to be a voice for the sustainable use of Ireland’s mountains and all the places (coastline, crags, forests) we use.
For all walkers and climbers to:
- enjoy secure and responsible access to Ireland’s mountains and the other places we use in Ireland; and
- have the opportunity to improve their skills, to explore, to be adventurous and to maximise their potential within our sport.
- Responsibility – To take personal responsibility for our actions. To foster the development of personal skills for clubs, groups and individuals.
- Respect – To respect the wonderful, but fragile, environment that we enjoy and to be a strong voice its protection.
- Partnership – To recognise that relationships and trust are vital within our activities and in helping realise our vision.
- Recreation and well-being - To recognise and promote the contribution our sport makes to the physical and mental health of participants.
Based on our Mission, Values and Vision, we have identified 7 Strategic Objectives. Namely:
- To represent the interests of walkers and climbers;
- To be the voice for Ireland’s mountains, to protect and encourage responsible and sustainable use of the mountain environment;
- To improve and secure on-going access to Ireland’s mountains and the other places we use in Ireland;
- To ensure high standards in mountain training and to support skills development for our members;
- To support and promote all age groups, especially youth, in all aspects of mountaineering;
- To provide a talent development pathway to high performance;
- To promote a spirit of adventure and self-reliance.